Sunday, September 5, 2010

End-of-Summer Reads

I love Anthro's books, as you can see from my previous summer reading list.

As summer is closing, the weather in Southern Cal is still quite balmy, and one of my favorite activities is sitting in our backyard, with a good novel, legs tucked under me, and a chilled lemonade at my side.

Here are some non-Anthro books that I've picked up at my new 2nd favorite place--my neighborhood library. Just around the corner and a quick jaunt from our new house, nestled in a charming, woodsy, tree-lined park! Oh, the joy of our tax dollars hard at work!

I am able to prego-waddle down there, pick out a few items, and slowly totter back within an hour! AMAZING.

Hope you enjoy these. And let me know some of your own favorite end-of-summer reads. 

1. My Life in France, Julia Child.

She is so funny and plucky and enthusiastic. And Meryl Streep does these DEAD-ON impressions of her voice and idiosynchroses. DOWN TO THE HEAD SCRATCH at 0:20 and 0:23!




2. Watership Down, Richard Adams

An oldie but goodie. Who would have guessed that a story about a warren of rabbits could have displayed so much courage, heartbreak and adventure? Not to mention an entire new vocabulary?! i.e. "Silflay hraka, u embleer rah," meaning, "Eat my rabbit poop, you stinking chief rabbit." INTENSE!

3. The Art of Happiness in a Troubled World, Dalai Lama and Howard Cutler
 
Kind of rambling and no easy answers. But with pockets of wisdom--like being realistic about life and the world is one of the keys to not having unrealizable expectations. I myself am not Buddhist, but I do recognize the truth in what the man has to say.
Sorry, that paragraph was kind of rambling, too.

4. The Well-Behaved Child, John Rosemond
 
Because I don't know how to say no, I volunteered to give a presentation on child-discipline among other topics to a bunch of TEEN MOTHERS at the end of the month.

The very demographic that will probably find me the least compelling--for one, compared to them, I'm older than time. Also, I'm not "technically" a mother, YET. And what would I know about their tough, suddenly very adult lives?

Well, ignoramus or not, I found myself nodding continuously and knowingly throughout this GEM of a book. Essentially, emphasizes that many (although obviously not all) kids have been overdiagnosed with disorders and parents want too much to be their kids' friends. Effective discipline hinges on parents falling back on the 50's style "BECAUSE I SAID SO" philosophy. Doesn't that just ring true to you?

Especially when there is increasing volume-demon-shriek and scissor-kick tantrum-throwing in the middle of the Barbie/Hot wheels aisle at Target that does not respond to either ice cream, threats or a swift swat over the diaper. Oh boy, I think I just jinxed myself there. Now you guys know exactly what to expect for me in T-2 years.

It's all very easy for me to say--after all, the best parents are those who have no children yet and still consider themselves experts. Ha!

5. The Glass Castle, Jeannette Walls
Sad. Amazing. Amazingly sad. But triumphant as all sad memoirs should be.

Any other favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment